- 4 Certified SC Grown tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10 fresh chopped basil leaves (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup Dukes® mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt (for drawing out tomato juice)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Fresh ground pepper and salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Once oven is preheated, bake pie shell for 10 minutes. After crust is finished, reduce heat to 350°F.
- While crust is baking, lay tomato slices in a layer on the bottom of a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Let tomatoes drain for 10–15 minutes. Transfer to flat paper towels and pat off any excess moisture (this prevents the pie from being watery).
- Lay half of the tomato slices in the bottom of the pie shell. In a small bowl, mix together onions, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of mixture over tomatoes in pie crust. Layer in second half of tomato slices and top with the rest of the onion/basil mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine cheese and mayonnaise. Spread mixture on top of the pie.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cut into slices and serve warm.