As with many root vegetables, Salt-roasting a beet is a fun and easy way to preserve its flavor, nutrients and color.
For Salt-Roasted Beets:
- 1-2 pounds of beets, washed thoroughly with skin and some stem root attached
- 225 grams (1 cup) water
- 6 egg whites
- 1250 grams kosher salt (about 8 cups; that’s enough salt crust for about 1-to-2 pounds of beets)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking tray with some parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine water & egg whites; start whisking them to a slight froth. Slowly add the salt; it should start to resemble wet sand.
- Take your wet sand and make little beet snowballs, packing the mixture tightly around the beets. Place covered beets on the baking tray.
- Bake in oven for about two hours. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Break open the salt shell, peel the beets (the peel should come off easily by hand), cut as you like.