Roasted Pork Belly with BBQ Boiled Peanuts
Yield: (10) 3 oz portions
- 2 lbs whole pork belly
- 3 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp fennel seed, toasted & crushed
BBQ Boiled Peanuts:
- Yield: 2 quarts
- 1 lb red skin peanuts, raw
- ¾ gallon water
- ½ lb smoked bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup crushed garlic
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup sorghum molasses
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- 1 tsp ground clove
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp black pepper
Yield: 1 quart
- 2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups okra, washed
Pork Belly Directions
- Combine salt, pepper, & fennel seed.
- Rub pork belly thoroughly & allow it to sit overnight.
- Roast pork belly at 275° for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and place in refrigerator to cool.
- Once cold, cut into 3 oz portions.
- To reheat: Place on a hot grill, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side or until center is hot.
BBQ Boiled Peanuts Directions
- Combine peanuts and water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce temperature to a low simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours or until peanuts are soft.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add bacon, onions, and garlic. Cook until caramelized for approximately 15 minutes.
- When bacon, onion, and garlic are caramelized add boiled peanuts and cooking liquid, as well as remaining ingredients. Mix evenly.
- Remove from sauté pan and transfer into a baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°, covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and keep warm.
Pickled Okra Directions
- In a non-reactive pot combine all ingredients except the okra. Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the okra and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and shock the pot in ice water to cool rapidly.
- Transfer the pickled okra to glass jars and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 week before using.
- The pickled okra will keep for about one month.
- In the center of 4 plates, place a ½ – ¾ cup each of bbq boiled peanuts. Be sure to get some of the liquid from the bbq peanuts.
- Place pork belly on top of boiled peanuts and garnish with pickled okra.