Michelle’s Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits
- 2 cups uncooked white coarse-ground grits
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (2 8/31 count)
- 4 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, diced
- ½ poblano pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup Madeira
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
Chef: Michelle Weaver
224 King St, Charleston, SC 29401, USAVisit Website
Bring 7 cups of water to a boil in a 4 qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits; reduce heat to medium and cook while whisking constantly for 5 min. Cover; reduce heat to low and cook while stirring occasionally for 1 hour or until tender. Fold in cheese and ¼ cup butter.
Peel shrimp, de-vein if desired.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserve 2 tbsp. drippings in skillet.
Melt 6 tbsp. of butter in hot drippings in skillet. Reduce heat. Add onion, Poblano pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until sweet onion is translucent. Add shrimp; cook, stirring often for 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt and next 2 ingredients; toss to coat.
Sprinkle flour over shrimp mixture; toss. Add broth and next 2 ingredients. Cook just until shrimp turn pink, stirring to loosen particles from skillet. Stir in bacon and parsley. Serve over grits with green onion.
Recipe serves 6