Manchester Farms Quail & Dumplings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 3 tablespoons each, small dice: carrots, celery, kale, onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 cup roasted diced quail
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 quarts quail stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 gallon hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Chef: Brandon Velie
640 E Main St, Ridge Spring, SC 29129, USAVisit Website
Heat the butter in cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir often till it turns a caramel brown color. Add veggies and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock then add herbs and quail. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Add dumplings (spaetzle) and serve.
For the Gluten-Free Spaetzle:
Mix together flour, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Beat eggs well, add alternately with the milk to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
Press dough through spaetzle maker, or a large-holed sieve or metal grater.
Drop a few at a time into simmering liquid. Cook 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well.