1 Qt Heavy Cream
1 Medium Lemon
¾ C Hickory Hill Buttermilk, or live culture buttermilk
Salt to Taste
1 Tbs Sugar
- Cheese Muslin
- Chinois Mousseline
- 2 Qt Mason Jar
- Mise en Place
- Zest lemon, Set aside
- Juice Lemon, Set aside
- Mix Buttermilk, Lemon zest, Heavy Cream, Salt & Sugar in glass jar
- Slowly stir in lemon juice, adding juice from a second lemon if necessary
- Liquid should thicken some as juice is incorporated.
- Cover airtight, Allow to set at 85 º F for 18-24 hours. Mixture should be thick, but not solid. Not fluid either. If still fluid check temperature, let set another 12 hours.
- After mixture thickens, line chinois with cheese muslin with a reservoir under strainer to catch drippings.
- Pour mascarpone mixture into muslin lined strainer, cover
- Allow mascarpone to set at approximately 65 º F for 18-24 hours
- Discard strained water
- Scrape Mixture off of muslin with spatula or rubber scraper
- Mixture will be thick and spreadable, not solid
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (mascarpone will solidify under refrigeration), use as desired
- Keeps for 3-7 days
Yields About One Quart