Certified SC Kale Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup hazelnut
- bunch Certified SC Grown kale, about 1 lb. before trimming
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread hazelnuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel; rub vigorously to remove skins (don’t worry if some remain). Allow to cool completely, then coarsely chop.
- Remove tough stems from kale. Working with a few leaves at a time, roll into a cylinder; cut crosswise into thin strips.
- Combine vinegar, mustard and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk until salt has dissolved. Add cranberry sauce and whisk until well blended. Slowly whisk in both oils.
- Add kale and nuts to bowl with dressing; toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with dried cranberries, if desired.